Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Puppets, Bears, and Trains - 13 October 2021 - Plague Journal Day 580

Micah 6:8
Job 9:1-10
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

On this date in 1947, the TV puppet show “Kukla, Fran, & Ollie” premiered. I remember seeing it as a youngster, but now I wonder if it was in reruns. How long did that show run? (I just looked it up, it ended before I was born, so I any episodes I did see were definitely reruns.) At any rate, I recall wondering why she was called Kukla Fran. It didn't take long to realize there was a comma in the title. Punctuation matters. (As a side note, today is English Language Day, so please try to punctuate properly.

Also on this date, but in 1958, Paddington Bear made his debut, first appearing in the illustrated book, "A Bear Called Paddington," by Michael Bond. Apparently he was so popular that they named a major train and underground station after him in London. (just kidding, folks)
I'm assuming Paddington's debut is the reason that today is also National Bring Your Teddy Bear To Work And School Day. What with so many folks working from home these days (that includes yours truly), I'm guessing there are many teddy bears at work today.

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: