Friday, October 01, 2021

Feeling Like Tommy Roe - 01 October 2021 - Plague Journal Day 568

Micah 6:8
Isaiah 22:17-18
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today is International Coffee Day. (Didn't we just have National Coffee Day a few days ago?) Here's my big coffee tale.
I was in grad school and having some health issues. I had cold hands, ringing in my ears, and bouts of vertigo. I remember sitting in a lecture hall and holding tightly to the desk as the room rotated around an axis that seemed to go through my navel. It was, shall we say, an uncomfortable experience.
So ... I finally actually went to see my doctor back home, getting an early morning appointment, no less. I went in, described my symptoms, and was asked how much gin I drank. "None," was my truthful answer, but I asked why he asked that. Apparently juniper berries are bad for the inner ear, so excessive gin drinking can lead to vertigo, dizziness, and the like.
That being cleared up, he moved on to the next candidate, asking how much coffee I drank. "Oh, only one and a half or two pots a day," was my again-truthful reply. "OK," he replied, "no more coffee for three months, and then you can start drinking decaf." He added a vaso-dilator medication to the mix and sent me on my way.
I remember thinking as I walked to my car, "But I didn't even get a cup yet today." I would say that I was well and truly addicted.

01 October 1968 marked the premiere of the original “Night of the Living Dead.” I first saw it at a free screening at a science fiction convention (probably in 1977?), and I know I enjoyed it; but my strongest memory of that film was its dubbed version we caught on an old program called "Mad Movies with the LA Connection" on USA Network (or at least I think that's where it was). This was a great show where they dubbed movies to make them into comedies. The (originally) horrifying scene where the zombies are storming the house where the young woman is cowering was morphed into something very different. As the zombies approached, they were all chanting, "Party! Party!" while the poor blonde woman inside was berating herself: "I forgot to buy the chips!" What a fun show that was.

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.




No comments: