Thursday, October 21, 2021

Beans or Peas? - 21 October 2021 - Plague Journal Day 588

Micah 6:8
Genesis 25:29-33
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?


Today is Garbanzo Bean Day! (some folks may prefer to celebrate Chickpea Day)

Well, my contribution to the celebration will be the recipe for my quinoa + chickpea dish. This has been quite a hit at various gatherings of family and friends. It is both vegan and gluten-free, but don't let that deter you - it's still delicious.
I'm going to quote the version that ended up posted in my friend Beth's Delectably Free website and cookbook. I would concur with her that it holds up to variations very well, and that different herbs and spices can make a big difference in the flavour as well. Why not try it with some scallions, or celery seed, or whatever other herbs and aromatics you like.
Without further ado:
Has the universe been telling me to post some quinoa recipes, or what?

This one’s simple and easy, but thoroughly delicious. Try red quinoa, as Charlie uses, a variety of mushrooms, or other vegetables. I used basil, since I had it on hand, but I imagine other herbs and spices might be just as nice — or you could use none at all. I have a feeling this is one of those dishes that could be great with a million and one variations.

Tip: cook quinoa in vegetable broth instead of water.

Fried Quinoa:
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and cooked according to package directions
1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Shiitake mushrooms, sliced thin
1 bunch fresh basil, sliced into thin ribbons
Salt to taste

Directions:
1. Toss chickpeas with olive oil and cumin and add to a hot skillet or stir-fry pan. Toss for a few minutes (2-3) over high heat, or until browned on the outside. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook until most of the oil is absorbed and mushrooms are slightly soft.
2. Add cooked quinoa and toss with the other ingredients until quinoa is dry and begins to get crisp as it comes off the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and toss in fresh basil, plus enough salt to taste (I used about 1/4 teaspoon).

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: