Monday, October 04, 2021

Bamboozled About Beer - 04 October 2021 - Plague Journal Day 571

Micah 6:8
Proverbs 20:1
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?


Bamboozled by a brewery is just how I felt the other day. Newcastle Brown Ale is one of the finest beers in the world, and one of my personal favourites to boot. I've been told (and have come to believe) that the closer one is to Newcastle when buying said brew the better it will be. Nonetheless, I do enjoy the imported version here in the States. That's the beer pictured above.
I hadn't had any in a couple years, and the package caught my eye last week when I was at the market, so I grabbed a six-pack and took it home, anticipating a taste delight.

Imagine my surprise when it just wasn't as good as I had expected. In fact, it was "wrong" enough that I looked at the label, only to discover that this was an imposter. It was brewed and bottled in Petaluma, CA and Chicago, IL. That's the second beer pictured above.
I probably should have known something was up when it came in brown glass bottles rather than clear, but that just didn't register as I put the beer in my basket. It's "OK" beer, but it's nowhere near as good as the real thing, and I will steer clear of this imposter in future, and I plan to read the packages of all other imported beers before I buy them now. Caveat emptor, as they say, or perhaps caveat potator is more appropriate.
Grr. I'm still unhappy.

On a more entertaining note, we see that it's 10/4 in the American styling of dates, and thus we celebrate CB radios and all they brought to popular culture.

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: