Tuesday, August 03, 2021

Art Projects - 03 August 2021 - Plague Journal Day 509

Micah 6:8
Exodus 35:30-35 
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

First off, please note that the second word in today's blog post title is a noun, not a verb. Art may project (and in fact, he generally does when singing in the choir), but I'm talking about art projects - artistic endeavors.


Today is Airplane Crop Duster Day. Why in the world did that take me to art projects? Well actually, my first thought was of a school friend from many years ago whom we called "Farmer" for no reason I can recall. Sorry, Jim. I don't know why we did that.
At any rate, my next thought was of a short film that I've had rolling around my mind in a planning phase for something like forty years now. 

It starts with a doctor handing a patient a prescription to take care of the fungal infection on his left thumb.
The camera zooms in on the paper and we read that he's to go to I-94 at Moross, pull over on the shoulder and put his hand out the driver's window.
We cut to an outside shot of the patient's car pulling onto the shoulder, his putting on a surgical mask (how prescient!), rolling down the window just enough, and putting his hand through the opening.
The camera pulls back and up, as though we're standing on an overpass, and we see that there are cars parked nearly bumper to bumper on the shoulder along with our patient. Then, in the distance we see ... something ... it comes nearer and we realize it's an old biplane like the barnstormers used to fly.
We hear the plane's engine as it comes closer, suddenly dropping quite low over the cars on the shoulder, and it begins to dust the cars, just as a crop duster would.

That's it. A pretty awesome, award-worthy film, no?


I've had plans for many other projects, as well. Things like a series of photos of street signs related to the Bluegrass Music (e.g., Monroe Street, Banjo Drive, etc.). Maybe it's time to actually execute some of these, eh?

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: