Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Getting Used to Disappointment - 13 July 2021 - Plague Journal Day 488

Micah 6:8
Job 6:19-21
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Just about four weeks ago (link here) I asked for help in choosing an edition or version or translation of the Epic of Gilgamesh, but I got no help. The closest I came was a retired teacher friend who lamented no longer having her teacher's copy of Gilgamesh which she was sure I would have loved.

I'll ask for suggestions again - what version of Gilgamesh should I buy and read now? I don't really hold out much hope, based on the first round of replies (or rather, reply), so I guess I'll just have to get used to disappointment. Sometimes I feel like Inigo Montoya.


In an interesting side-note for today, I discovered that on 13 July 1977, the town of Kinney, MN officially seceded from these United States, hoping for foreign aid which was easier to get than getting funding for a local water system was from the State or Federal governments. Playing the Duchy of Grand Fenwick card, they offered to declare war on the U.S. and lose quickly, then accept war reparations.
Fortunately for all involved, a war was not necessary, and they eventually got a grant to complete the local water system.
I'm rather proud of those resourceful Kinneyites (or whatever they call themselves), and might even apply for a passport there to add to the US and Ladonian ones I already possess.


For even more fun, join in today's celebration of Barbershop Music Appreciation Day. It's not all "Sweet Adeline" and "Lida Rose" anymore, you know. Check out this fun one, and this one too.

You're welcome.

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: