Wednesday, September 23, 2020

23 September 2020 - Plague Journal Day 194

Micah 6:8
1 Samuel 17:42-44
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

I'm thinking today of Rufus T. "Boom-Boom" Herzberger. You may well wonder why? (and who? for that matter) so I'll let  you in on the fact that today is National Dogs In Politics Day. Back when I was in university (that was in the latter half of the previous century!), there was an election for the student government (such as it was). I, being essentially asocial and uninvolved at the time took very little notice of such things. However, my attention was caught by a singular campaign poster for the aforementioned Rufus T. "Boom-Boom" Herzberger. As it turned out, Rufus was a dog - yes, an actual Canine American - whose campaign manager ("owner" seems too politically charged here) decided to run Rufus for the student assembly. I was - as, no doubt were many others - enchanted. I was not, however, adequately enchanted to vote, nor do I recall ever hearing the results of said election. Nonetheless, the effort to elect Rufus lives in my memory as one of the great political campaigns of all time. Rufus, Snoopy, and Pat Paulsen - there were some inspired runs for office!



Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.



No comments: