Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Sauce-age du Jour - 25 November 2010

(from grandteuton.blogspot.com)

Well, I've had some commentators tell me that the highlight of the meal from their side of the plate was the gravy.
Frankly, I can't disagree much, as gravy is always one of best parts of Thanksgiving dinner, and I generally make a mean gravy, if I do say so myself.
I think there are two keys to making good gravy, once one is beyond the pan drippings and any extra stock that's going in.
  • It takes more salt than you think, and
  • Never use flour, only use cornstarch.
If you follow those two simple tips, you'll have gravy success too.  Once the drippings / stock hits a boil and you've salted it pretty well, take a small glass with a couple good forks of cornstarch and stir in some cold water.
Stir in that slurry, and watch it thicken the gravy - without any lumps!  It may take a second dose, depending on how much liquid you're trying to thicken, but it's the stuff to use.

There, that's my secret.  That and tasting the gravy as it boils to see if it needs more salt (it probably does).

Enjoy!

No comments: