Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Paging Lady Mondegreene - 15 June 2022

On This Day in History
1965 – Bob Dylan recorded “Like a Rolling Stone.”

What's the visual equivalent of a Mondegreene?

I misread that notice, and thought it was odd that Maynard G. Krebs / Gilligan would have recorded that song. Then I noticed what it really said.
I think I'd actually like to have that record, but I don't think anyone's got a deepfake singing program with Bob Denver's voice to apply to a Dylan recording, more's the pity.

Maybe that will be my Summer project.

Oh - you're wondering "what's a Mondegreene?"

It's a misheard lyric ("'Scuse me while I kiss this guy," for example). The term comes from a mishearing of an old ballad where they took the injured lord and laid him on the green. "Well," asked a now-infamous listener, "Who is Lady Mondegreene? I don't remember her from any of the earlier verses." Nor would one. Still, that's the origin of the term, and it's a fine one, if you ask me.

No comments: