Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Fingerprints - 28 October 2020 - Plague Journal Day 230

Micah 6:8
Daniel 5:4-6
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

On this date in history, October 28, 1904, the use of fingerprints was tried by St Louis police in their investigation of a crime for the first time. My limited viewing of CSI-type shows indicates that this is still a big deal, although there are lots of newer ways to identify evil-doers and other perps.

I find it interesting that identical twins have different fingerprints. Apparently "identical" is a bit of an exaggeration. Still, how many versions of those whorls, loops, and arches can there be? I'm convinced that somewhere among the billions of other folks wandering around the Earth that there is someone whose fingerprints match mine. I only hope that person is not a criminal.

Fingerprints are generally considered to be the ridges from the flesh around the distal phalanx bone of each finger. That's where the fingertips are found.
Without my fingertips I think I would find it difficult to play every one of the musical instruments I have - guitar, mandolin, violin, banjo, bass guitar, piano, kalimba, melodica, recorder, fife. Yep. All of those require the use of fingertips.
But wait! I could still play my kazoo and my slide whistle, so all would not be lost. (Just most would be lost, not all.)



Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.


No comments: