Monday, July 20, 2020

20 July 2020 - Plague Journal Day 130 - UPDATED

Micah 6:8
Psalm 136:1-9
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

July 20. To those of us of a certain age, that can mean only one thing: the Apollo Moon Landing.
Yes indeed, I remember sitting on the floor of our living room in front of that big-screen TV (certainly in the 20" range!) watching Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin kangaroo hop around on the surface of Luna in glorious black and white! (Here's one place where our staying well behind the leading edge of technology didn't really hold us back much - there wasn't a lot of color to be seen in that transmission. The patches on the spacesuits, the US flag, and any pictures of the Earth were the only areas of color we had to fill in with our built-in cerebro-colorizers (that's our imaginations, I suppose).
Anyway, I don't remember ever making this connection before, but July 20 is also my maternal grandmother's birthday. It's odd, but I've never noticed that we landed on the Moon on Grandma E's birthday. Quite a present! (or maybe not - who would have paid attention to her birthday when there were men on the moon?!)

So, celebrate Moon Day responsibly - please keep your trousers at full staff!

UPDATE:
I came across this project today. It's a short film using archival footage of the Apollo 11 mission and then the latest deepfake technology to show then-President Nixon reading the speech that was written in case the mission failed and Armstrong and Aldrin were not coming back to Earth.
Watch it here. It's actually pretty good, and the speech, written by William Safire, was at least excellent. I'm glad I heard it, but I'm gladder I didn't hear it in 1969.


Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments: