Thursday, October 24, 2013

Carnage du Jour - 23 October 2013

Leg of Lamb.
No, not the elf from Lord of the Rings, that's Legolas. Legolamb was his doppelganger in Bored of the Rings. Sorry for the digression. (OK, not really.)

Anyway, we have this wonderful old vertical rotisserie which was rescued from the 60s or so, and it's just the right size for a boneless lamb roast ... or a whole chicken ... or a pork loin roast ... or lots of other stuff.


So, the text came from Heidi - what seasonings would you use on that lamb roast?
I replied with cumin, white pepper, and savory (the salt was understood, don't you know).

Well, I got home earlier than anticipated, and got to do the job myself. Heidi did mention that she was surprised I didn't say herbes de provence, and I toyed with the idea of switching, but decided to go with my gut, as it were, and use the stuff from my text.

Good grief but it was good.

The ~2.5lb roast cooked in about 40 minutes, and we finished up the accompaniments as it rested - a lovely gratin of broccoli and cauliflower (with bacon), and some egg noodles with mushrooms.

At any rate, we each ate more than was right, but it couldn't be helped. As I cut the last bits of leftover meat into the last bit of leftover pasta, I handed Christian a bit of the crust (despite his protestations), and he headed off to bed where he planned to "cry myself to sleep from happiness."

Give that blend a try. Delicious is only the beginning of it all.

No comments: