Well, I managed to get back into facebook despite their attempts to keep me out. It looks as though the problem actually originated in the DNS which I couldn't flush in my work PC (thanks a lot, IT folks - grr). Once I tried to log in from my home, I could get in and change the default to regular facebook and leave the option of switching to lite once I'm logged in.
It's a cleaner, faster interface, but I'm sure it will be changed some before it becomes the normal version - there are no ads!
At any rate, the problem is fixed (though no thanks to facebook who remain singularly silent on the customer support front).