Thursday, December 08, 2005

Report on NaNoWriMo

I'm sure you're all dying to know the outcome of National Novel Writing Month. As you probably remember, the goal was to come up with a draft novel of at least 50,000 words. As you probably don't know, I simply don't write rough (nor hardly even first) drafts; I write a finished work, pretty much right as I go along.
Given that, I figure I don't have to get as many mere words placed one after another in order to count myself as successful. (Yes, this is, in fact, a big batch of rationalizing after the fact, but bear with me nonetheless.) As I finished more than 10% of the stated goal of 50,000 words (in fact, I have the first 6,992 words of a novel ready for publication as I write this), I figure I'm way ahead of those who now have to slog through 50,000 words of drek, mining those five or six thousand words worth keeping.
I may post an excerpt at some point, but only if you beg.

No comments: