Thursday, March 10, 2022

Votes for Everyone - 10 March 2022 - Plague Journal Day 728

Micah 6:8
Matthew 20:25-26
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

On 10 March 1971 the US Senate approved an amendment lowering the voting age to 18. I remember that change, and I remember thinking that - even though I was one of its "beneficiaries" - it sounded like a bad idea. I still think it might have been a foolish move.

I understand the idea that "if they're old enough to be in the Army, they're old enough to vote," but when we dump kids at 18 into the Army, we don't ask them what they want, we tell them what to do and teach them how to do it. Does anyone really think it's a good idea to have folks with limited education (especially these days) and essentially no actual life experience decide how the rest of us should live and behave?

I have enough trouble accepting the current ruling class (who tend to match that description above, now that I think about it) and their whims and pronouncements. I think I'll go grab a spare $60k and buy a Tesla so I don't have to worry about gas prices. What idiocy.

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our insane lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.


No comments: