Friday, March 25, 2022

Wiki Wacky Woo - 25 March 2022 - Plague Journal Day 743

Micah 6:8
Revelation 22:18-19
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today is a notable date in the history of swiftly editable sources of "truth" on the internet. On 25 March 1995 WikiWikiWeb, the world's first wiki, was launched. Ward Cunningham introduced the wiki, or user-editable website. Of course most of us think of Wikipedia when we think of a wiki - it is the world's most well known and widely used wiki, so that's only fair. I have been part of populating and maintaining a couple wikis in my day, and they can be very useful. Quite an invention, Mr. Cunningham.

I liked your pharmacies too.

At any rate, this brought to mind a blog post I read a long time ago (I see it was posted way back in 2007, so that's about 0.1 eternities in internet time) that wasn't really about wikis, but did mention the derivation of the word in the first part of the post. You can read it here if you'd like to. I think the guy is wrong, but I wasn't in on the coining of that term, so he may be correct.

In celebration of wikis, I thought I'd give you a couple links to a fabulous song of the past that must have anticipated the whole trend of editing, modifying, putting in everything you can think of that embodies the modern wiki aesthetic.

First up, a very entertaining take, and next a much smoother version.

Enjoy!

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our insane lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.




No comments: