Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Missed It By That Much - 23 March 2022 - Plague Journal Day 741

Micah 6:8
Ezekiel 1:15-21
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?


I'm not sure what prompted this the other day, but I've been thinking about the time back in the late 1950s when my Dad worked at Chrysler Defense on the VZ-6 flying jeep project. I think it was probably an article I saw where Suzuki is teaming up with a drone manufacturer to make a flying car for deliveries and taxi use. If it had a decent range and speed, and if it cost something less than my life's earnings all at once, I might well consider getting one.

Anyway, back to the 50s when Chrysler Defense was working on a flying jeep for the US Army. It always seemed odd to me that something from a car company and called a jeep (at least informally) would have only two ducted fans, not four. Getting the roll, pitch, and yaw controls as well as forward and reverse motion from just the two fans involved a lot of intricate vanes and control mechanisms (that's the part Dad worked on - the basic machine had already been laid out by the time he joined the project). I mean, even Ezekiel had four wheels within wheels, right?

Having a ducted fan at each corner would seem to allow for easier control - and that's what many drones look like these days.

Everything new is old again - or however that goes.

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our insane lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: