Saturday, November 20, 2021

Waiting for Beckett - 20 November 2021 - Plague Journal Day 618



Micah 6:8

Proverbs 10:23
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?


Today is National Absurdity Day. I've enjoyed absurdist writing since I encountered it in my High School French and English classes (Samuel Beckett and Tom Stoppard were the first one I read.) Frankly, I still enjoy the absurd - and even have played at writing some of it myself.
I wonder if today was chosen for this celebration for any particular reason.

On this date in history:

20 November 1985: Windows 1.0 was released. Nearly two years after its announcement, out came the first graphical "OS" (really just an overlay or UI on top of DOS), opening the door to wimp computing for the masses. (that's windows, icons, mouse, pointers)

20 November 1942 Joe Biden was born. (the 47th Vice President and the 46th President of the United States)

You're welcome.

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: