Thursday, November 18, 2021

A Rotten Day (but just one) - 18 November 2021 - Plague Journal Day 616

Micah 6:8
Luke 10:33-34
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?


I had a terrible day on Tuesday. A bit of background first. My cat, Jack, has glaucoma, so I've been putting drops in his eyes three times a day for the past several months. His left eye was the first one to be bad - his right one still seems pretty good, really, we just give it a lower dose as a preventative measure.
At any rate, Tuesday was a terrible day. I didn't see Jack all morning, so I was a bit worried. When he finally showed up around noon, Jack's left eye had apparently popped. It was back to normal size, but with what looked like a trickle of blood down his muzzle.
I felt terrible that I hadn't been able to prevent that happening. In retrospect, he seemed fine with it.
Anyway, it turned out to be OK - the way it "deflated" was the best way it could have happened (a small hole rather than a major rupture). Still, I felt awful.
Happily, he has returned to sitting by me, letting me put in his (single!) antibiotic drop, and purring instead of yowling and running away.

Today also marks the anniversary of a truly terrible day: 18 November 1978. On that day 918 people died in Jonestown, Guyana under cult leader Jim Jones. This is where the phrase "drink the Kool-Aid" originated. Very scary stuff, really - it's amazing how relatively easy it is to get people to abandon what they know to be true by promising them something they really want.
I don't mean to trivialize the Jonestown tragedy, but this sounds like the way politics works anymore.


Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: