Monday, November 29, 2021

Paging Mr. Ziegfeld - 29 November 2021 - Plague Journal Day 627

Micah 6:8
Proverbs 26:11
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

I heard some music this morning that greatly improved my opinion of Antonio Salieri (even if he did murder Mozart!). It was his set of variations on La Folia, and it showed just how much imagination he had, and how much mastery of orchestration and composition. I was very favourably impressed.

"What is La Folia?" I hear you ask. Check this Wikipedia page for some background. Quickly, though, it's a chord progression and melody that seems to be the oldest composition we have in Western classical music. Who is the composer? The fabulously fecund Anon, I'm afraid.

Still, it's a piece that really does ask for variations, and I have a suggestion. I'd love to see John  Williams create a set of variations in the styles of many of the film scores he's created - Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Harry Potter, E.T., maybe even going back to television for Lost in Space.

Someone please help me to get this idea to Mr. Williams - I would love to hear this!

#PagingJohnWilliams

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: