Wednesday, July 15, 2020

15 July 2020 - Plague Journal Day 125

Micah 6:8
Exodus 20:12
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today is my (late) Mom's birthday - she would have turned 86 today - and I miss her very much, every day.
One thing she did well, even though she didn't think she did, was to write. She wrote devotions for our annual church Lenten Devotions books for many years. The one that was always my favorite was one that she didn't think was worth submitting, but she felt she needed to turn in something, so there it was.
I'm sharing it here today for a couple reasons. First, because it really is my favorite of her devotions, and secondly because it seems incredibly appropriate in these days of fear and loathing.

Read and ponder:
A Lump of Coal

Read: Genesis 45:3-8, 50:18-20

Remember when you were a kid, and at Christmas time you hung up your stocking for Santa to fill?

If you'd been good, he'd give you candy and oranges.  If you'd been bad, you'd get coal.

Picture this –
A snowman facing the fireplace – his back to you.
He reaches into his stocking and finds coal.
He turns; he has eyes and shouts joyfully – “I can see!”

Sometimes we get coal.

Sometimes it's a blessing.


Prayer:  Dear God, let us see.  Amen

Shirley Van Becelaere

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments: