Saturday, June 27, 2020

27 June 2020 - Plague Journal Day 107

Micah 6:8
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today is National Orange Blossom Day. If you're a fiddler, or any kind of Bluegrass or Old Time musician or fan, that's pretty special. (See what I did there?)
Back in my university days I was part of a couple different string bands, and we sometimes played square dances at (I remember one in particular at the Michigan Union where we had the dancers take part in what came to be called the "Suicide Reel" as we sent couples up and down the line with little or no regard to whether or not there were dancers in the way - it was great fun for the band.)
At that dance we did get a request for the Orange Blossom Special. The standard reply to that (the same went for Foggy Mountain Breakdown) was: "Sorry, we just played that one." It might be before we had started, but that was the answer nonetheless.

At another memorable square dance - it was a fraternity/sorority-sponsored fundraising Dance for Disease marathon - I got some really good advice on Bill Monroe and his music from a (possibly drunk?) frat member. He told me that he had heard Bill play his standard instrumental, Rawhide, in a really slow, almost funky arrangement one time. The lesson was that if Bill didn't always play his tunes exactly the same way, I could make those tunes I was learning my own. And I have done so. Thanks, possibly-drunk frat guy!

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments: