Wednesday, June 24, 2020

24 June 2020 - Plague Journal Day 104

Micah 6:8
James 4:1-12
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today is International Fairy Day, and I am quite excited to celebrate it!
As you likely know, dear reader, I am what is known as a Methodist. In addition, I am a mathematician (and a musician - those two so very often go hand in hand), and thus am oriented toward logic and reason in all my endeavors. How then to explain my very real and deep fascination with the preternatural? As a Christian it is only to be expected that I would be interested in the supernatural, but what of things more on the order of elves, brownies, fairies, and the like? Why do they occupy my imaginings as they do? Who ever heard of a mystic Methodist?
While not Methodists, three of my favorite authors spent much of their output focused on these topics - C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Charles Williams, three of the Inklings. Although they each treated the subject in radically different ways to one another, they all shared the belief that there are things we don't know or see that are real, and that are nonetheless not contrary to a Biblical understanding of reality.
Even moving earlier to the founder of Methodism, we find that John Wesley wrote "An account of the disturbances at my father's house, the haunting of Epworth Rectory by Old Jeffrey" in 1784 reporting events from his youth. It seems that even the most rational of us can be captivated by tales from beyond what we normally experience.
Yes, there's more to life than what you see and touch, and God is still in charge of it all.

If you want to understand why I write novels the way I do, read any of the novels of Charles Williams. That's what I'm trying to do in my own way.

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments: