Thursday, June 25, 2020

25 June 2020 - Plague Journal Day 105

Micah 6:8
Genesis 37:3-8
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today is Color TV Day (or Colour TV Day if you prefer). This commemorates June 25, 1951 and what some consider to be the first broadcast of a TV program in color - albeit in a format that didn't catch on, that was incompatible with older, black and white sets, and that was only in a few cities (New York, Boston, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Washington DC).
My first memories of color television are quite a bit later than that date (pretty obvious, as I wasn't born until years later).
My most vivid color TV memory is of watching the first episode of the new season of Gilligan's Island, and seeing there on the screen a bold proclamation that the program was IN COLOR!
I still remember turning to my Dad and saying, "no it's not." And indeed, it was not - at least not in our house where we had only black and white sets. I suppose I should be grateful that they finally settled on a color broadcasting system that would allow those of us not on the bleeding edge of overspending consumerism to still watch the shows (and be exposed to the commercials) ... and I am.
I have two other memoris of color TV that are worth sharing (I'm making that judgment - it's not up to you at this point).
First was of walking down the street to our friends' house each week to watch the new episode of Jonny Quest in color. That was an exciting time, and the cartoon was vastly better in color than in black and white.
Second was of experiencing the nearly-painful saturation of the color set at my grandparents' house. Lawrence Welk in eye-searing color was the payment that had to be made to see George Pierrot's fabulous travel program in color as well.
Those were the days, my friend - those were heady days indeed.

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments: