Saturday, March 19, 2022

That's Fair - 19 March 2022 - Plague Journal Day 737

Micah 6:8
1 Kings 17:5-6
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today is National Corndog Day! I really don't remember when I first had a corndog - we weren't big carnival or fair attenders when I was a kid, so somehow I doubt that's where it was, unless it was at the State Fair, back when we had a real State Fair (before our erst
while governor killed it, mostly out of spite as far as I can tell). It may, however, have been at the first Charlotte Bluegrass Festival I attended (with my sister) back in 1979 or 1980. The local 4-H Moms had what would now be called a food truck, I suppose, where we got actual good food, but there were all the carnival eats trailers there too, and I can't believe I didn't buy a corndog then.
Anyway, the best memory I have of corndogs is the time we made our own - using Jiffy cornbread mix, naturally - on the driveway of our friends, Fred & Lynn. We had the mini deep-fryer set up outside (no sense burning down the house if things went badly wrong), we had hot dogs, a dipping station, sticks, condiments, the whole nine yards as they say. They were good to eat, but eating corndogs with friends is even better.
We may have to do that again.


Today is also Play The Recorder Day. My elementary education did not include an actual recorder. We were given the dreaded "flutophone" to play. I think it was a sort of remedial recorder, and I resented it mightily, even to the point of never actually learning to play it.
We have a few different sized recorders in our musical instrument collection chez nous, and I may have to dig one out and give it a try. I'm sure dogs love to sing along to recorder music, right? This should be fun (or painful ... or both).

Go grab a corndog and a recorder and celebrate the end of Winter and the advent of Spring! (Hmm, how can we have an advent here in the middle of Lent? I may have to consult an ecclesiastical authority.)

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our insane lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: