Saturday, March 05, 2022

Reeling In The Years - 05 March 2022 - Plague Journal Day 723

Micah 6:8
2 Timothy 1:3-7
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

As a public service, I remind everyone that today is National Poutine Day - not to be confused with National Putin Day which is the fifth of never.

On a less fattening note, today is also Reel Film Day. This is a celebration that is near to my heart, as I have co-written, co-produced, and co-starred in a couple short films - and by films I do mean they were on film, not a digital format. What great "fun" that editing together of short bits for each scene can be! As a member of the Library Club, later the IMC (Instructional Materials Club), I was carefully trained in the ways of projectors - both filmstrip and 16mm! (Kids, ask your grandparents if those terms seem meaningless.)
Even more timely, thanks to Andreas at Yellow Door, I've seen myself as a toddler. It's a surreal feeling in a more accurate sense than the way that term is usually applied. We found some old 8mm films at my Dad's house and had them transferred to mp4 files and there we are. It's shocking how many things I remember from when I was tiny, now that I've been reminded of them.

On This Day In History!

 

On 05 March 1981 the ZX81 home computer was launched. The British ZX81 was one of the world's first home computer and was sold over 1.5 million times.

(It was sold over 1.5 million times? That makes me wonder: was it so durable it lasted long enough for that many sales, or was it such crap that no one wanted it, but they found over 1,500,000 suckers to buy it from the previous guy anyway? Perhaps they mean over 1.5 million of them were sold. Perhaps.)

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our insane lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.




No comments: