Wednesday, March 02, 2022

Ashes, Ashes, We All Fall Down - 02 March 2022 - Plague Journal Day 720

Micah 6:8
Matthew 6:16-18  Joel 2:12-13
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent.

This may seem odd, coming from someone who publishes a book of Lenten Devotions every year and is fairly liturgical (especially for a Methodist, of course I'm also much more of a mystic than one would expect in a Methodist), but I really don't get Ash Wednesday. (You can check devotions for this and past years here.)

Yes, it's the beginning of Lent, a season of repentance and preparation as we head toward the glory of Easter and the Resurrection, but I'm more specifically skeptical of the imposition of ashes. In fact, I've been planning to write a devotion for our book for several years talking about why I don't take ashes on Ash Wednesday.


Recently I read somewhere about Wesley's attitude toward ashes, and that the practice at the time was to get the ashes but wash them off before going out into the world to avoid showing off. As the post I've linked here (that really does an excellent job of explaining what I've been struggling with) says:

It is a funny thing about badges given for humility.  The moment you accept them you are immediately disqualified.

I can't find that original reference now (it may have been in a book about hymns and Methodism that I recently finished, but it could have been online somewhere, and that means I'll likely never find it again), but that kind of sums it up. Rend your hearts and not your garments, let your fasting be seen by your Father, not by men.



On a totally different not, on 02 March 1962 Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points - in a single basketball game. That's just astounding. Well done, Wilt.

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our insane lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: