Friday, January 07, 2022

Sweet, Georgia Brown! - 07 January 2022 - Plague Journal Day 666

Micah 6:8
Judges 3:15
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Here a Friday Fun Fact I came across today.
Male cats are more likely to be left-pawed, while female cats are more likely to be right-pawed.
(I have only partially confirmed this, as it's also in the infographic below, but it does sound a bit unlikely.)

It does make me think of my fencing career at university. Phys Ed classes were for zero credits, but I - bravely - took two of them: Rifle & Pistol, and Fencing.

Fencing was really fun and quite physically demanding and rewarding. I had a friend in the class who was left-handed, which turns out to be a huge advantage. After all, he fought essentially only right-handers; and we all did the same - except when fighting him with everything going the wrong way.
I talked with him about taking the course again, but with each of us working with our off hand, thus anticipating both Inigo Montoya and the Man in Black by quite a few years.
It also led to my once annual golf tournament where a different left-handed friend and I trade clubs and play a round going the wrong way. It's quite embarrassing to begin with, but gets quite a bit better by the end. We'll have to restart that tradition soon.

On an historical note, on
07 January1927 the Harlem Globetrotters played their first game. That reminds me of a vacation happening. We were stopped for lunch at the restaurant of a Holiday Inn on the way to Fort Wayne to visit family. The sign outside said something on the order of "Welcome Harlem Globetrotters." Well, there were a few Black men at another table in the restaurant. Mom grabbed all the gumption she had accumulated to that point in her life and asked one of them if he were Meadowlark Lemon.
"No, ma'am," was the reply, and she walked away.
I've always wondered if they really were Globetrotters and she just guessed the wrong one. They might well have wanted some privacy at lunch, after all. I know he wasn't Curly Neal, as he had hair. (Unless he was wearing a wig - he might have been in disguise, or even in cognito!)

Ah, good times with Mom in restaurants. At least we weren't kicked out that time.

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our insane lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.





No comments: