Friday, November 12, 2021

Birds Do It - 12 November 2021 - Plague Journal Day 610

Micah 6:8
Psalm 96
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

No, not that. I was thinking this morning about music - about composing music with and without words.

I've gone back and forth in my mind as to which is harder, and which is a higher art.

Sometimes I think that since only humans have words to set, then the song is higher than the melody. As the title says above, birds do it. (I once read that if birds could be taught to count they would be the best musicians in the world. Maybe.)
At other times I think that words help in composition - they guide the flow of melodies and the overall structure of the piece, so in a way it's harder to compose pure music than a song.

I've done some of each, but my limited sample doesn't really tell me what I want to know. I'd be interested in your opinion and thinking. Which is a higher art form - music with words or music without words?

As Captain Underpants would say, tra la laaaa!

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: