Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Work it out - 17 August 2021 - Plague Journal Day 523

Micah 6:8
Ezekiel 9:3-4,11
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Here's my obligatory joke for today.
Why don't mathematicians suffer from constipation?
They always work it out with a pencil.

Yes, that's a rather disgusting joke, but given that today is National #2 Pencil Day, it seemed less inappropriate than it usually would have been.

Also on today's date, in 1850 José de San Martín, Argentinian general, politician, 1st President of Peru died. Huh? Argentinian general and politician, but President of Peru? I guess I need to brush up on my South American history.

Further back, in 1786, Davy Crockett, American soldier, politician, king of the wild frontier was born.
I was going to post the poem from Silverlock recounting the battle at the Alamo in Norse skaldic verse, but I haven't found it yet. If I do, I'll come back and add it with a note that the post has been updated.
Whether I find it or not, you should all go buy a copy of Silverlock, by John Myers Myers and read it. Go do that immediately - it's one of my all-time favourite books of any genre.

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: