Friday, August 20, 2021

Mixing Metaphors, or Mythologies - 20 August 2021 - Plague Journal Day 526

Micah 6:8
1 Corinthians 8:4-6
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today is a great day - it's National Radio Day! As I posted last year on this date, one thing I miss when I'm working in a modern, open-scheme office is radio. I miss music helping me to concentrate on my work. Sure, I could wear headphones, but that's more isolating than I really want.
At any rate, celebrate by tuning in a music station you don't usually listen to and see if you find something you really like that you wouldn't have discovered otherwise. In addition, I'm planning to put a feather in my hat and call it Marconi!


Also to be celebrated today is the birth in 1890 of one H. P. Lovecraft. His oeuvre spawned one of my all time favorite political yard signs!


In "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" fashion, on this date in 1940, Leon Trotsky was attacked in his home in Mexico (why was he living in Mexico?). It seems that Trotsky was attacked by an undercover agent of the Peoples Commissariat for Internal Affairs or NKVD, dying a day later due to the injuries sustained during the attack ... and the shotgun sings its song.


Now for our mythological mixup. On this date in 1975 NASA launched Viking 1 using a Titan rocket on its (successful) mission to land on Mars. So a Greek proto-god shoved a Norseman into space to head to a planet named for a Roman god? One assumes Viking was really looking for Tyr, not Mars.

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.



No comments: