Thursday, August 26, 2021

It Still Stings a Bit, Though - 26 August 2021 - Plague Journal Day 532

Micah 6:8
1 Corinthians 15:50-56
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Well, Dad's entering hospice care today or tomorrow. We all knew something like this would happen someday, but no day is the day you expect it.

I thought I'd pull an old writing out and share it here. This is from the 2004 book of Lenten Devotions from GPUMC: (you can find them all here)

Wrestling with My Mortality

Read: John 6:47-58

And Jesus uttered a loud cry and breathed his last. - Mark 15:37 ESV

And He died.
He died.
Even Jesus died.

I've been thinking about dying
quite a bit lately, wrestling with my mortality. After all, there have certainly been enough reminders of just how temporary this life is these past months.
Maybe it's only natural to think this way; to look at the calendar pages turning more and more quickly, and to think about endings. Sure, it's only natural.

But as a Child of God, born of water and the Spirit, I'm not only natural; when I really get down to it, my mortality isn't worth worrying about. I don't have to look at things that way any more. Think about it. Jesus says that whoever believes in Him has eternal life. He doesn't say that now I have a chance to live forever. He doesn't say that if I do enough stuff, then He'll give it to me. He says that, as a believer, I already have it.

I already have it.

Wow. Amen.


Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: