Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Roll for Initiative - 27 July 2021 - Plague Journal Day 502

Micah 6:8
Esther 3:7-11
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today is a very special day in the calendar of geekdom. It's Gary Gygax Day. This marks the birthday of the co-creator (with Dave Arneson) of Dungeons and Dragons, initially published by TSR (Tactical Studies Rules), now owned by Wizards of the Coast. D&D, amazingly enough, is still a paper and pencil, roll physical dice kind of game. It's never been computerized in any decent way, really. (Sure there are many PC, online, and console RPGs that owe their existence to the inspiration of D&D, but none that really embody the idea of a DM leading the players through a world / campaign created just for them.)


I spent many more hours than I should have in my university days playing D&D with friends. I've only just realized that I was really there at nearly the very beginning. The first sets of rules were published in 1974, and I started playing in 1975. I really had no idea I was so cutting edge as a nerd. Something to be proud of, I suppose.

If you're wondering what it's all about, and how people can have fun doing this, check out the folks at Critical Role to watch a bunch of friends who've been playing together for years. There are some very fun videos there.

Now I have to go roll a d20 to see if my magic flail (+4/+4) has hit and killed the hellhound that just burst into my room. Wish me luck!


Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: