Thursday, July 29, 2021

Peel Back the Layers - 29 July 2021 - Plague Journal Day 504

Micah 6:8
Matthew 23:4
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

It seems that I've been remembering stuff from my university days quite a bit recently, and here's one more. Today is the 67th anniversary of the publication of the first volume of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy - The Fellowship of the Ring.
No, I most emphatically was not in university in 1954, so you're wondering how this relates. It was over the Christmas break of my freshman year that I first read that book. I checked it out of the library and took it with me on our family trip to Fort Wayne, Indiana where we visited my Mom's family over the holiday. It was one of very few times I was actually looking forward to a break ending, as I had finished the book with days to go and no way to find out what happened next!

One assumes that today's being National Lasagna Day is a nod to the many-layered plot and subplots of the Lord of the Rings.
Or perhaps not.
Still, I like lasagna, even if I haven't made any in a long time. (Applesauce? Applesauce.)


It's also Rain Day, a celebration shunned this year by nearly everyone in the Detroit area. Enough already!

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: