Wednesday, April 07, 2021

Personification - 07 April 2021 - Plague Journal Day 391

Micah 6:8
1 Corinthians 8:4-6
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

You know what drives me crazy these days?
OK, that's not a fair question: there are far too many things trying to push me over the edge. Let me just tell you rather than post a quiz.
I keep hearing medical and public health experts tell us that "the virus is trying to get around our best efforts," or "the virus is trying to mutate to get past the vaccines," or a raft of similar pronouncements.
Balderdash. The virus isn't trying anything. It has no will, it merely exists. I seldom agree with Yoda, but in this case there really is no try. [There's still debate as to whether a virus is even alive (they were not considered "life" back when I studied Biology, lo these many years ago, but the state of that "science" is a bit different to what I learned).]

I understand the desire to personify the disease one is fighting. It's easier to think of fighting an enemy than of fighting a force of nature. Still, we managed to send men to the Moon and rovers and probes to other planets without talking of our war with Gravity.

A couple asides here:

  • Yes, I believe we did land men on the Moon and returned them safely to Earth.
  • Yes, I still like the poem "High Flight" - not in spite of its imagery of slipping the surly bonds of Earth, but largely because of that imagery.

 Back to my rant. I haven't heard them for quite a while, but there was a series of anti-cancer PSAs playing nearly constantly on the radio where the speakers addressed Cancer as though it were a super-villain and they the heroes fighting valiantly against it. I may have posted a screed about those some time ago (it's suddenly seeming as though I had). That screed, should it exist, still expresses my feeling that we're fooling ourselves by trying to make it a Good v. Evil thing. It's simply a part of fallen Nature with which we have to deal.

Enough vituperation. How about something just plain fun? Glad to oblige.
I ran across this video a few years ago, but yesterday it showed up again and I like it so much I wanted to share it with you. Yes, it really is Tico Tico for guitar four hands - one guitar, four hands.
Enjoy!

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: