Friday, April 30, 2021

Now You've Stepped In It - 30 April 2021 - Plague Journal Day 414

Micah 6:8
Genesis 3:14-15
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

I've noticed a few folks on Facebook running a "poll" asking "What's the worst thing you've ever stepped on barefoot?" My answer was a bee (and neither of us was happy with the outcome). I think it's interesting that in the midst of that research activity we find that today is National Hairball Awareness Day. Having come to cats later in life (I married into them, you see, and I am happy to have them around), I didn't grow up knowing the "joy" of finding a hairball with my bare feet. I have done so since - generally in the dark, of course - so I can attest that they would rank up in the top few items. Nicely scheduled, calendar.

As if we needed further reason to dump the practice of Daylight Saving Time, I just discovered that on this date in 1916, Germany and her WWI allies became the first countries to use DST, hoping to save energy and aid the war effort. Why would we emulate the Kaiser and his stooges? Let's just move to Standard Time all year.

On a more positive note, it was on this date in 17
89 that George Washington took the oath of office in New York City to become the first President of the United States of America. It was only several weeks later that the French people, perhaps inspired by Washington's refusal to be crowned our king, decided to shorten their monarch using that purportedly humane invention named after J.-I. Guillotin. Interestingly, M. Guillotin and Mr. Washington were both Freemasons. The mind boggles as we look for lizard people and Illuminati.



Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: