Friday, April 02, 2021

Good Friday - 02 April 2021 - Plague Journal Day 386

Micah 6:8
Matthew 27:45-54
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Good Friday. Good Grief. Both of those phrases seem odd - nearly oxymoronic. And yet, on that Friday, Jesus paid the price for my sins - for my sin - and for yours. The grief His friends, family, and followers all suffered didn't seem good to them then, but on the third day they discovered what He was really doing - He was about His Father's work. Mourning gave way to that glorious morning when they realized Jesus had conquered death.

Still, on that Friday which we call 'Good' from afar, they saw it as anything but good.

Imagine yourself there at Golgotha. Where would you have been? With the passersby who didn't know what was happening? With the mockers who thought they knew? With the despairing followers who thought they had known what would happen, but were shocked by what really did? With the soldiers, just doing their jobs? With the rulers and leaders who were doing this to keep the peace?

It's too easy to say we would have done one thing or another from our perch two millennia after the fact. What would I really have done? Where would I really have stood? God have mercy on me - I don't know what I'm doing.

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: