Saturday, March 06, 2021

Joy in the Morning - 06 March 2021 - Plague Journal Day 359

Micah 6:8
Psalm 30
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

As I mentioned last week, I have come back to our church's weekly prayer vigil again. What used to be 15 minute prayer sessions has grown to 30 minute sessions. Much like nearly everyone these days, I find it hard to concentrate on any single task for that long (unless it's reading a book - somehow hours can disappear as I turn the pages), so I've set myself some prepared prayers as a way to keep focused.

As we will celebrate communion in church this week, I was put in mind of the communion liturgy in the United Methodist Hymnal. This prayer of confession is always worth considering, remembering, and praying. I think the seeming paradox of being freed for obedience - for joyful obedience at that! - is a big part of what speaks to me in this prayer. I hope you find it challenging and meaningful.


Merciful God,
we confess that we have not loved you with our whole heart.
We have failed to be an obedient church.
We have not done your will,
we have broken your law,
we have rebelled against your love,
we have not loved our neighbors,
and we have not heard the cry of the needy.
Forgive us, we pray.
Free us for joyful obedience,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: