Tuesday, March 02, 2021

Face Palmer's - 02 March 2021 - Plague Journal Day 355

Micah 6:8
Leviticus 23:40-41
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?


Today is National Banana Cream Pie Day. I remember getting banana cream pie at the restaurant in the basement of Eastland shopping center (before it was even a full-on mall!). I also got coconut cream pie there. It was across the hallway from McDevitt's - a Catholic/Christian supply shop. (I'm struggling to remember the name of the restaurant.) It was right next to a set of escalators that were much narrower than the standard ones. I would ride up and down them with my feet off the steps by holding myself up with one hand on each moving rail. (Rats, I almost had the name again. Twice.) It was really just a little sandwich shop with standard diner desserts and such, but I remember it very clearly (apart from its name!). That and National Coney Island were the places at Eastland where we might get something if we were doing a big shopping trip. Coney Island was right near the Detroit Edison store where we could go get our burned out light bulbs exchanged for new, working ones - free of charge! Those were the days, eh?
To be honest, if we were going to be "fancy" while shopping, we might go up to the Hudson's restaurant for a Maurice Salad, but that was not a common thing for us. 

Aha! It took a lot of searching and reading through forum comments, but the place was called Palmer's!
All that because today is National Banana Cream Pie Day. That's what memories will do. I suppose that's why some people eat to forget, or however that goes.

Today is also Read Across America Day, which is also known as Dr. Seuss Day. How ironic that our bizarre, narcissistic cancel culture is busy trying to cancel the good doctor as we hit the day celebrating his achievements. I would recommend reading any and all of his books to anyone and everyone who will listen. (I guess I won't argue if you want to skip The Lorax. It reads as an aberrant screed, an artifact of its era, unlike his other, generally timeless books.) 

These are the books being canceled - I would suggest buying a copy just to make the point that this is insane:

  • "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street"
  • "If I Ran the Zoo"
  • "McElligot's Pool"
  • "On Beyond Zebra!"
  • "Scrambled Eggs Super!"
  • "The Cat's Quizzer"


Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: