Saturday, August 29, 2020

29 August 2020 - Plague Journal Day 169

Micah 6:8
Luke 15:20-25
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

If you can find one, go shop at a record store today, because it's Record Store Day. Even if you buy a CD, I think that's close enough. 

Record Store Day brings me a couple sets of memories.
First, I remember Village Records and Tapes here in Grosse Pointe. It was a locally owned shop, not part of a chain, so it didn't last as long as some of those managed to do. I used to have a great time browsing the bins and discovering new artists and new music - and having someone there who could actually talk about the music I was browsing and buying. Once I finally broke down and bought a CD player (yes, we're talking a few years ago), I went in and ordered a Louvin Brothers disc. Imagine my surprise when it showed up - and it was only available in vinyl! That's what I get for not asking, I suppose, but it was (and is) a great album nonetheless. 

Next, this day (and those memories of Village Records) makes me miss Stuart McLean and Dave of the Vinyl Café. Stuart would always contact record stores across Canada on Record Store Day, and it was a delight to hear how the different towns supported their record stores - and how the record stores supported their towns. You know, We may not be big, but we're small, and that programme was a part of my Saturday life for many years. Stuart, Dave, Morley, really all of the Vinyl Café family are well and truly missed.


Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.



No comments: