Thursday, August 20, 2020

20 August 2020 - Plague Journal Day 160

Micah 6:8
Matthew 13:3-9
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?



One of my friends had an important post on Facebook the other day:

The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

This is clearly a big problem, especially during this lockdown/quarantine, as many of us struggle with anxiety, fear, even terror. It certainly doesn't help that nearly every newscast is exclusively bad news about how we're all about to die no matter what we do, but all we have to do is wear masks, wash our hands, and stay 6 feet apart. How are we supposed to process that disconnect? It's like we're being told, "There's nothing you can do, you're doomed, but it's your fault for not doing what we say." It's no wonder people are getting more and more anxious (and skeptical, but that's another topic). I'll be including that contact info at the end of these posts for the next long while.

Happily for me, I seem to be having a far different experience of this quarantine from many others.
While I do miss the conversations and camaraderie of the office, I'm not at loose ends all day.
While I am home and in reach of food at nearly any given moment, I'm not eating myself into oblivion (nor into obesity).
Part of this is, no doubt, due to my essentially asocial character. I'm not antisocial, I'm just fine being mostly alone much of the time, and part of it is that I'm working from home - I actually have projects to complete and provide to coworkers and clients. That helps immensely.

The other thing that helps a lot, and something that I miss when working in the modern, open office setting, is radio. Not just talk radio, although there is some of that, but music - music that someone who knows about music has curated, selected, and scheduled. Music I may never have heard before it comes out of the radio, and about which I actually learn from a host who loves and cares about music as much as I do.
How fitting, then, that today is National Radio Day. Tune in a station you don't normally listen to and see if you find a new favorite song. Tune in a station that plays radio dramas - theatre of the mind! - and see how amazing a good audio play can be.

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments: