Tuesday, August 18, 2020

18 August 2020 - Plague Journal Day 158

Micah 6:8
Acts 17:22-31
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today is Helium Discovery Day, commemorating the discovery of that noble gas, helium, back in the 19th century. Don't you wonder how they discovered it? After all, you can't see it or smell it, and it's lighter than air, so it wouldn't be hanging around in the corner of a lab. Maybe a lab assistant accidentally inhaled some and started talking funny and the lead scientist, Irving Helios, wondered what was up with that. I'm fairly certain that was the way it actually happened.


At any rate, my favorite helium-related story goes back many years to when Bob Edwards was the host of NPR's Morning Edition. Back then they had good news coverage and - total bonus - Doctor Science! Anyway, Bob was reading a letter from a listener who was a farmer. The farmer's problem was that he listened in his combine, but Bob's dulcet baritone voice was just about the same pitch as the purring engine of the combine, making it hard to hear. "Perhaps," suggested the listener, "Bob could breathe some helium to make his voice easier to hear."
"Well," said Bob, "I don't know if Edward R. Murrow would approve, but here goes;" and he proceeded to inhale a balloon's-worth of helium, much to the delight of all and sundry. What a good sport, eh?

Moving from the world of science to the arts, I note that today is National Bad Poetry Day. Frankly, I believe that bad poetry is better than no poetry.
I suppose I could be convinced otherwise by some truly dreadful examples, but I'm pretty sure that I'd rather have some than none. If you care to challenge my assertion here, please feel free to leave examples of bad poetry in the comments. I hope I don't have to ask this, but just in case I do, I shall: please stay within the bounds of decency and propriety.

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments: