Saturday, February 19, 2022

19 February 2022 - Plague Journal Day 709

Micah 6:8
Genesis 3:19
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today is International Tug-Of-War Day! I'm not sure if I'm remembering something real or something imagined, but either way it's pretty cool. I believe the Detroit and Windsor police and/or fire departments used to have a tug-of-war across the Detroit River. If they didn't, they should have, and if they did, how in the world did they do that? The rope must have weighed a ton (not literally) to have reached all the way. Perhaps they stood at the border on the Ambassador Bridge or in the Tunnel with a regular sized rope? That would be practical, but hardly spectacular.

The other, and probably greatest memory I have of a tug-of-war is the scene in Revenge of the Nerds where the nerds simply drop the rope and let the jocks fall down in victory. Classic!


Today's freewrite prompt word is Glow

No, I'm not going to write about the gorgeous ladies
of wrestling. That would be silly.
Instead this made me remember that old adage that horses sweat, men perspire, and women glow. I hadn't realized until now that this is a totally unbiblical take on the word. If you follow the middle link above you'll see what I mean.


When you look at all those Renaissance paintings of beautiful women, you'll notice that the size of beauty was larger then than it generally seems to be now. That makes me wonder if, after his famous, "Madam, I'm Adam" introduction, Adam might have tried to butter up Eve by saying something like, "you don't glow much for a big old fat girl." One can only imagine the response he might have gotten. (yes, I know those are not Renaissance paintings above, but they fit my topic very well!)

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our insane lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: