Thursday, January 27, 2022

Mush, You Huskies! - 27 January 2022 - Plague Journal Day 686

Micah 6:8
Ephesians 6:13-17
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

I like today's title. My late father-in-law would have preferred Hush, You Muskies! (and I hear it that way a lot of the time), but that might have led my gentle readers astray. Although, I'm not writing about Sergeant Preston of the Yukon. I am writing about dogs and snow. (Did you know that Richard Simmons starred as Sergeant Preston, who patrolled the Yukon Territory in search of renegades and outlaws? I had no idea he was that old. I guess sweating to the oldies really does prolong life.)
At any rate, I've never done it, but have always heard of waxing skis for snow skiing. Well, now I wax my dog for walks in the snow. She used to get those nasty iceballs between her pads - but no more! Heidi remembered hearing of some kind of musher's thing that would protect dogs from the ill effects of walking in the snow. Well, after a little searching I found Musher's Secret wax, and it is pretty spectacular. As stated, it has prevented the caking of snow and ice in her feet, and it doesn't end up putting grease marks on the floor before or after the walks. Highly recommended. It's also useful for equines according to the label information. We may have to get a horse to check that out.

That's a link to a small tub on Amazon in case you want to try it.

Here's something I missed from the history listing yesterday. On 26 January 1913, Jim Thorpe relinquished his 1912 Olympic medals for playing semi-pro baseball before competing in the Games. What a change we've had! He played semi-pro baseball and gave back his track and field medals. Now we have NHL and NBA players playing in their same sports on purpose. Wow. So much for amateur athletics.

Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our insane lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.





No comments: