Monday, November 22, 2021

A Carrot? - 22 November 2021 - Plague Journal Day 620

Micah 6:8
Romans 14:1-3
Yes, your life matters.

Some of you are still sheltering in place, but fear not: I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

As I am a Baron - that title accorded me by the nation of Ladonia - today's celebration of Start Your Own Country Day really hits home with me. I urge all and sundry to celebrate in a reasonable way.

I will also add my commentary to the commemoration of the assassination of President Kennedy on this date back in 1963. I'm old enough that I really should remember it fairly well, but that's just not the case. I mostly remember hearing other kids say that their parents said if he had survived, he would have been a vegetable. In my mind I was imagining the President somehow turned into a giant carrot. It's an odd image that's never really left me, and now you know just how odd I was and continue to be.

Sadly, Kennedy's was not the only remarkable death on that day.
On 22 November 1963, both Aldous Huxley (the English author of "Brave New World" and other works), and C. S. Lewis (the Irish poet and author of the Chronicles of Narnia, a Space Trilogy, and massive numbers of books and writings on theology and Christianity).
It took the assassination of the 35th US President to prevent the world's noticing these two literary giants' passing.

So, once you've founded your own nation, why not read "Profiles in Courage," "Brave New World," and "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe?"


Keep Calm and Don't Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: