Saturday, May 15, 2021

It's Astronomical! - 15 May 2021 - Plague Journal Day 429

Micah 6:8
Psalm 19
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Today is Astronomy Day! Break out the telescopes and binoculars and have a look at the sky!

Probably my top memory of using my own telescope would be when we set it up as a projector to show a solar eclipse on a screen so we didn't have to get any of those fancy solar goggles. (I don't know if they existed at the time - I was probably in Middle School at the time.) I do remember using the solar filter and seeing sunspots through the telescope, as well as getting some pretty good views of the Moon. I never did have a good enough telescope to see the Lunar Landers or Rovers up there, but I still believe they actually did go there. I always thought I'd go somewhere like that someday, but it's looking less and less likely as the years go by.

Anyway, what better soundtrack could there be for this day than a bit of Pink Floyd, eh? First off, let's take a look at a video of Astronomy Domine (thanks, KQED!), followed by Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun! Out of this world, folks!


Keep Calm and Stay Away.

Still Pink Floyd - get it?

I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.



No comments: