Saturday, March 13, 2021

40 Days - 13 March 2021 - Plague Journal Day 366

Micah 6:8
Mark 1:9-13
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Many of you know that I edit / publish a book of Lenten devotions every year for my church (Grosse Pointe United Methodist Church, to be specific), and have done for more than 20 years now. If you'd like to follow the readings (sorry, I should have done this weeks ago), a new devotion is posted each morning at the church blog. In fact, my sister's church near Nashville, TN (College Grove UMC) is in their second year of doing the same thing - with the added bonus that they also published a book of Advent devotions this past Advent season.

I told you that to tell you this - every year I have a wonderful book of devotions for each day in Lent. Each year I've already read all of the devotions for each day in Lent before the season even starts (Yes, I try to edit carefully, and I'm often charged with finding Scripture references and titles for those who haven't supplied their own. It can be a lot of work sometimes, but it's a joy none the less.) At any rate, I try to find another book of devotions to give me something new for each day. This year and last I got a copy of Jacki's book, so that was mostly new each day, but I'm also reading another 40 day book - 40 Days of Decrease, by Alicia Britt Chole. It's been a really good journey so far, and it's gone beyond my expectations. I had assumed it would focus on John the Baptist's "He must increase and I must decrease" statement; and it does, to an extent, but really it's about decreasing as fasting, and each day is a challenge to fast some other thing that gets in the way - that gets between me and God. Some of them don't seem like much of a challenge to me, while others are huge asks. (I'm sure everyone will have different fasts that are harder or easier.)

If you haven't taken up a Lenten discipline - be it fasting from something or taking up something - why not go ahead and do it now? There's no rule that says you can's start late and try to catch up, and - even better - the Glory that is Easter is getting ever nearer! Hallelujah! Amen!

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.


No comments: