Thursday, February 18, 2021

Carnage du Jour - 18 February 2021 - Plague Journal Day 343

Micah 6:8
Genesis 25:29-34
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

First, a quick note of excitement - today is the day that NASA's Perseverence is to land on Mars! Let's hope for a successful landing after the seven minutes of terror! (see! I'm excited!)

I realized recently that I hadn't posted a carnage du jour in a long time. Well, today we're having a guest for dinner, and we're having a nice pot of coq au vin, so that seemed like a reasonable way to resume that series of posts. (In fact, I've probably posted about coq au vin in the past. I've made it for a fun church dinner series (Who's Coming to Dinner?) as well as on at least one camping trip.)

Why bother posting this one? Well, I'm hoping it will be a good batch, but I've chosen to do it solely from memory and instinct this time rather than go look for a recipe I've used in the past. One of the keys is that the wine needs to stew long enough to cook out most of the alcohol taste and feel. I think I'm giving it plenty of time.
The basics of this effort are: boneless chicken thighs seasoned with  salt and pepper and smoked paprika, seared in bacon grease, bacon, pearl onions, and red wine. To the wine I've added some chicken stock, some dry mustard, and some thyme. I'll let this stew for a few hours in the crock pot and then check for seasoning. (I may have used some cocoa powder in the seasoning as well - I don't remember for sure.) Now I need to remember to add carrots and the mushrooms I bought for this dish when the time comes!


I'll try to remember to report back on this tomorrow.


Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: