Tuesday, January 19, 2021

No, not Kwak - 19 January 2021 - Plague Journal Day 313

Micah 6:8
Job 10:9-10
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

Huzzah! Today is World Quark Day!

No, not that quark


No, not that quark either.


 

No, not even that quark.



This quark:


Why do I care about this celebration? 30 years ago or so I tried to make a quark substitute, as it wasn't readily available in our area. 

 

We wanted to make a zwiebelkuchen from a German recipe, and it called for quark (naturally - I couldn't get it, so it was required). I was told I could make a similar substance in my blender with cottage cheese and sour cream (at least those are the ingredients I think I remember using). All was going swimmingly until I used a small rubber spatula / bowl scraper to scrape down the sides of the - gasp! - running blender.
The spinning blades engaged the spatula, launching the mixture ceiling-ward.
Fortunately, it didn't all hit the ceiling.
Unfortunately, much of it did land on my head.
Hilarity ensued, and I have not scraped the inside of a running blender since.
Please, feel free to learn from my experience. You're welcome.

Today marks what would have been the 212th birthday of Edgar Allan Poe. I may discuss his writing (and philosophy of writing) in the next few days. He was an important and excellent writer in many ways. His equal will be seen nevermore.



Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: