Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Happy Hour - 24 November 2020 - Plague Journal Day 257

Micah 6:8
Matthew 11:16-19
Yes, your life matters.

We all are still sheltering in place, but I'm here to keep you sane and entertained.
One could hardly ask for much more than that, now could one?

I understand that in the nearly-forgotten past, like last year and all the years prior, the day before Thanksgiving was one of the biggest nights for bars. Folks back in town to join family for the holiday would meet up with friends whom they hadn't seen for a long time for a happy hour catch-up.
So now I'm wondering if anyone out there remembers that great show on USA Network (from back when they were like the world's biggest, greatest independent UHF station) called Happy Hour, hosted by Dweezil and Amnet Zappa?
I know I do, and it was just what this world needs again.

It reminds me in a slightly oblique, yet subversive way, of Fernwood 2 Night (and the later, somewhat less memorable America 2-Night). Why don't we have great television like that anymore? Are they just afraid to do something different and good, or are they simply incapable of anything but copying and remaking what has gone before?
At least there's YouTube that has quite a stash of this classic program.
Here's the opening part of the first episode. You're welcome.

Bringing you up to date on today in history, 1265 Magnus Olafsson, Manx king died. (One supposes that means he was a king without a tail.)

As a follow-up to an earlier post on different kinds of art, I came across this quote: "I invent nothing, I rediscover." - Auguste Rodin (See, I told you sculpting was different from writing.)

Keep Calm and Stay Away.
I'll be back tomorrow.
The mental health issues related to our lockdown and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression. NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, has a 24 hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

No comments: